For graduate students in the Crop & Soil Environmental Sciences (CSES) Department


First, read the CSES Department Guidelines provided in a separate document and review the following web sites:

Checking In

Upon arrival, graduate students should:

  • check in with their faculty advisor (see W. Lee Daniels if not assigned yet)
  • check in with the Dept. administrative assistant (Judy Keister in 330 Smyth)
  • check in with Rachel Saville (Graduate Coord.) in 238C Smyth Hall for graduate student services
  • sign up for your Hokie passport (ID) and parking pass at the Student Services Center  
  • learn how to set up your Personal Identifier (PID) and get email at  
  • go to 238C Smyth to get added to the graduate student listserv and to apply for desk space in one of the graduate student offices  
  • go to the Parking Services Office on Tech Center Drive to get parking permit  
  • check in with Judy Keister in 330 Smyth to get a key to your graduate student office (assuming a slot is open)  


Secretarial assistance is NOT provided to graduate students. However, all business-related transactions including copying, faxing, purchasing, and travel reimbursements must be coordinated through Judy Keister in the main office. Secretarial support is NOT extended beyond these services.

Computer Support

For departmental computing questions or concerns, please see the department IT specialist (Ted Ellmore;  The Virginia Tech Computing Center also provides answers to computing and IT related questions through 4-HELP . CSES maintains limited computer support (PC’s, printer, scanner etc.) for graduate student use in room 417 Smyth. Only current CSES graduate students are allowed to use this facility and equipment.  No new programs may be installed on these computers and all photocopying must conform with U.S. copyright laws.

There are also several computer lab facilities around campus that have computers and numerous software packages available for both Macintosh and IBM-compatible computers. For locations, operating hours, and information on individual lab equipment and software, check the Computing Center's website.  Typically, students have their own computer and this is strongly recommended.  All buildings on campus have wireless access.


Business-related photocopying is available in CSES; check with the main office for locations and access.


Restricted phone lines for local student use are available in your graduate student office.

Audio-Visual Equipment

A-V equipment for teaching and video/slide presentations is available from several areas of Smyth Hall. Classroom Audio Visual Services in 206 Saunders Hall also has an A-V library with equipment such as LCD projectors, screens, and document projectors that can be checked out.


Boxes for incoming U.S. and campus mail are located on the third floor in Smyth Hall and organized within sections, i.e., staff, graduate students, and faculty. Your grad student office key will also open the mail room. Mail is sent/delivered once per day around 10 a.m.

Motor Pool and Travel

The Motor Pool is an on-campus facility located behind Lane Stadium. State vehicles are available and may be reserved for official business. Car reservations should be made well in advance of your trip. To use any university vehicle, it is necessary that you have a valid operator's license. All travel requires prior on-line authorization and a fund/grant number. To be eligible to operate a VT fleet vehicle, you must register formally via:


Graduate student parking is available in lot behind Wallace Hall; a 5 minute walk. Normal business day (8-5 M-F) parking in the Smyth Hall lots is restricted to faculty/staff.


Bikes should be registered with campus police. University policy does not permit storage of bicycles inside offices, stairwells, or corridors. The bike rack located in the quad area outside Smyth Hall is for bike storage. Secure your bicycle to the bike rack.

Dogs or Other Pets

University policy does not permit animals in Smyth Hall at any time. The only exception is for approved support animals such as seeing-eye dogs.


After normal business hours, it is extremely important to maintain  building and personal security. Lock office and lab doors behind you at all times. Use a cable to lock down laptops at all times. When leaving the building at night,  care should be taken to ensure that lights and equipment (coffee pots) are shut off and that all doors to rooms you have used are locked. Use precaution to ensure your personal safety when working alone late at night or on weekends. Be cautious when walking in dark areas at night and crossing streets at all times, especially around “moving in” and “moving out” days.